Saturday 2 June 2012

Confessions of a Book-aholic

As you may or may not remember, Girlfriend is starting medical school this coming fall. A few years ago we made an agreement: once she got into med school, we'd sell the house and live together year round (instead of continuing long-distance for another three years). So I've been trying to get the house ready to sell.

Part of this is going through all my stuff and deciding what will make the move and what will be donated to Goodwill. I decided to begin with my books.

I love my books. I love to buy books. I'm not a huge fan of borrowing them from the library; they sometimes have a musty, "old book" smell (I realize that some people love library books for this very reason). I love the look of my books on the numerous bookshelves throughout the house. But I realize that I need to purge before this move. And now, thanks to my Kobo, I can get rid of some physical books and still read a digital version at a later time.

While Girlfriend has spent the past two weeks in Europe, I've spent time fixing the house and going through my books. I managed to fill 3-4 boxes with books to take to the used bookstore, and I had a bit of an epiphany as I was going through the shelves:

I don't own enough books.

I mean, I have a lot of books. But not enough. It took me less than an hour to go through all of them and pick out the ones I want to keep. And now there are gaps on the shelves. Gaps just aching to be filled with new, wonderful books!

So how to solve this problem? Visit chapters.ca, of course! A few clicks here and there and presto! new books.

Unfortunately, my new books haven't arrived yet. And Girlfriend will be home tomorrow night. I had planned to incorporate the new books into the book shelves while she was gone, making it look like they'd been there all along. Now my plan has been foiled and I will have to admit that while I have managed to purge the shelves of some excess books, I unfortunately have found 6 new friends to join us on our move.

Whoops.

(Note: for those of you who are curious, I purchased the following books - 3 Sookie Stackhouse** books and 3 historical fictions by Sharon Kay Penman)

(**additional note: I realize these are trashy, but I'm enjoying them so shut up)

No comments:

Post a Comment